People around the world are feeling the effects of COVID-19, and many have begun practicing social distancing as well as quarantining. Isolation may seem simple, but after 72 hours of being trapped at home with family, many are beginning to look for an escape.
Short-term rentals offer the perfect vacation experience while allowing guests to practice social distancing. Many of the perfect staycation destinations are just a short drive outside of major metropolitan areas.
Sacramento – The capital of the Golden State is one with plenty to offer both inside and outside of the city. With plenty of cities perfect for staycations within driving distance, consider checking out the following markets
- Redding, CA (2 hrs 45 min)
- With an average occupancy rate of 71%, one can expect around $2,000 in revenue/month on average.
- South Lake Tahoe (2 hrs 15 min)
- South Lake Tahoe is a year-round destination. With just under 3,000 active rentals, hosts can expect nearly $4,000 in monthly revenue thanks to a higher daily rate average than most cities.
- Sonoma Valley (2 hrs)
- Sonoma Valley is home to nearly 600 active rentals, as well as an abundance of wineries. Hosts here can expect to make a massive $6K in monthly revenue despite occupancy rates of about 55% on average.
- Napa (1 hr 15 mins)
- Napa also has its’ fair share of vineyards, causing travelers to seek it out for a relaxing getaway. Rentals in Napa have an average of just under two bedrooms. Nearly 75% of the market are entire home rentals, allowing hosts to take home an average of over $4K in monthly revenue.
Kansas City – Go Chiefs! We know you love your city as much as Pat Mahomes loved winning the SuperBowl for you guys, but it’s time to take a break. We want you to be safe so you can protect the city you love so much. Here is where you can get away to close that is still close to the city:
- Overland Park (20 mins)
- With under 150 active rentals, there’s plenty of room for growth in Overland Park. With an average rental size of around three bedrooms, hosts can expect to bring in about $2.5K in monthly revenue!
Nashville – Thank you, Nashville, for all of our country music needs, but right now, everyone needs a nice quiet getaway. You can still live stream Keith Urban’s concerts because all of the staycations near Nashville have wifi! Or you can unplug from the world and enjoy the fresh air for a little before having to come back to reality! Here are a few listings that have caught our eye:
- Franklin (30 mins)
- Franklin has seen some massive growth – 6% quarterly growth, to be exact! With just under 450 active rentals, it looks like the market will continue to grow. Plus, nearly $3K in monthly revenue never hurts.
- Gatlinburg (3 hrs 45 mins)
- Bordering the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Gatlinburg is the perfect short-term rental location. 98% of active rentals are entire home rentals and host an average of 7.6 guests. Hosting in Gatlinburg, you can expect to bring home over $3,500 in monthly revenue!
New York City – Ahh the Big Apple, what a city. The constant hustle and bustle are why people move here, but sometimes you need a break to get back in touch with nature. We know you have Central Park, but there is nothing like a good vacation. We picked some of these staycation options with you in mind:
- Hamptons (2 hrs 15 mins)
- It’s no surprise that being a host in the Hamptons takes home a hefty chunk of change each month – nearly $8K/mo on average!! It’s worth noting that although the market is fairly seasonal, most hosts have a minimum night stay of 7-29 days.
- Ithaca, NY (4 hrs 15 mins)
- Ithaca’s rentals host an average of 6 guests, but the rental type is what’s fairly interesting. Nearly 30% of rentals offer a private room as opposed to the entire home, and yet, the average monthly revenue is still roughly $2.5K.
Los Angeles – In L.A., everyone is a star, but don’t you want to get away from the limelight for a little? There are so many people around you that it would be good for you to get out of there. You have so many options around you to escape to, here are some ones that seem perfect for you:
- Joshua Tree (2 hrs)
- Joshua tree is a unique place because 98% of their 928 active bookings have over a 4.5/5 rating. That could be that 95% of the rentals, rent out their entire property to guests. The properties also bring in monthly revenues of about $2,500, considering 33% of them aren’t available year-round.
- Santa Barbara (1 hr 30 mins)
- Being near the coast really helps because Santa Barbara has an average revenue of a little under $4,000 monthly. They have an average of about five guests per stay in a two-bedroom home. 80% of the 1,144 active rentals in this area rent out their entire property, and the rest are private room rentals.
- Huntington Beach (50 mins)
- Again the beach cities in California are bringing in some high monthly revenues. Huntington Beach brings in about $3,700 each month and about $265 each night. The average number of bedrooms at these properties is around 2.2 bedrooms, with an average of 6.1 guests per stay.
Chicago – The windy city has so much to see and do, but the only problem is you can’t avoid crowds. Why not explore a city near Chicago that will allow you to unwind from the large groups of people constantly around you. These rentals are only a quick drive away to help lighten your mood.
- Lake Geneva (2 hrs)
- Lakes seem to bring in a lot of revenue too! With an average of $3,265 a month and $312 a day for only 154 active rentals in the area. It seems like Lake Geneva has figured out how to make 94% of their guest happier than a 4.5/5. Of the 154, only 59% of them are active year-round.
- Grand Rapids (3 hrs)
- Grand Rapids has about 390 active properties that fit an average of 5.3 guests per stay. They have seen a quarterly growth of 3% in properties, with 64% of them renting out their entire home. The average monthly revenue is about $2,000, with only 40% of the active properties available over 181 days out of the year.
Houston – Howdy Houstonians! You are so close to some top staycation destinations that are more than perfect in the times we are in right now. We know you weren’t able to get the spring break that you needed, but this destination will allow you not to miss out. These are the perfect home away from home:
- San Marcos (2 hrs 45 min)
- If you are going to float the river, you have an option of 133 active rental properties to choose from. Each of these rentals makes about $1,700 per month, with an average of 6.3 guests per stay. The average number of bedrooms for these stays are about two rooms per property.
Phoenix – We know how hot Phoenix can get in the summers, so why not take a trip right now? You can get the nice cold weather plus the beautiful views, instead of being confined to your home. Pack a bag and bring games for a stress-free staycation that your whole family will enjoy!
- Flagstaff, AZ (2 hrs 15 min)
- Flagstaff has been growing the number of properties that are available for rent by 1% each quarter, making the total number of active properties 1,452. 59% of the 1,452 active properties are available year-round for rent, bring the monthly revenue to $2,662 and a daily average of $187.
San Antonio – San Antonio is a fun and lively town in the southern part of Texas, but we think you need to take a trip even further down to the beaches for a relaxing vacation destination. The beaches are only a few hours away, and we are ready for them.
- Port Aransas (2 hrs 30 mins)
- Port Aransas is a great destination for those who want to enjoy beach life. That being said, of the 2,130 active properties available to rent, 99% of them allow you to rent out the entire property, not just a room. This makes property owners around $3,661 in revenue each month. You are going to want a larger property since the average guests that stay at each property are about nine people.
San Diego – What’s up San Diego! You can almost never have a bad time to this lovely city, but many have yet to venture out and explore the wonderful staycation destinations around San Diego? Below are two that we highly recommend.
- Coachella Valley (2 hrs 30 mins)
- Coachella Valley is known for the big music festival held here every year, that is probably why the average guest per stay is 11 people and the number of bedrooms between 4-5 rooms. With 366 active rental properties available, each of them makes an average of $3,685 per month and $668 per day.
- Temecula (1 hr)
- Temecula has a steady increase of 1% growth in rental properties each quarter. Right now, 627 active rentals make a monthly revenue of about $3,800 or around $324 a day.
Dallas – Dallas is one of the hot spots in Texas for travel. There are so many fun activities you can do with your friends, but why not get the true southern experience in the Hill Country of Texas or a little different twang in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. Dallas is so close to the border of Oklahoma. You can easily hop over for a nice staycation.
- Hill Country – Fredericksburg (4 hrs 15 mins)
- There are more rentals here than you would think! There are 1,427 active rentals right now that bring in monthly revenues of $2,485 and a daily average fo $232. 71% of these rentals are available year-round, with a guest’s average of 5.1 people per stay.
- Broken Bow, OK (3 hrs)
- Did you know that 99% of properties in Broken Bow, Oklahoma are renting out the entire home? Of the 1,261 active rental properties, 55% of them are available year-round. All of the 1,261 active properties bring in a revenue of $3,600 a month.
Washington DC – Our nation’s capital, where all of the important decisions are made for our country. The District of Columbia is small enough to allow you to visit the surround states in just a few hour’s drive. There are so many options to take a breather and have a nice relaxing stay in any of the cities below.
- Charlottesville, Virginia (3 hrs)
- 97% of all the 752 active rentals are rated over a 4.5 out of 5 for quality. 79% of the properties rent out the entire property for an average of 5.5 guests per stay. The monthly revenue brought in from this is around $2,500.
- Ocean City, MD (3 hrs)
- 99% of the rental properties in Ocean City rent out their entire properties, which is almost all 3,057 active rental properties. Most of those rentals bring in an average of $2,826 a month.
- Harper Ferry (1 hr 30 mins)
- Harper Ferry is a smaller destination with only 117 active rentals. What they don’t have in quantity, they have in quality with 92% of their properties with an average rating over 4.5/5. Their quality rental makes a little over $2,700 a month.
Atlanta – ATL the capital of the peach tree state. Atlanta has nearly half a million people living in just one city; it might be time to take a vacation. There are numerous different places you can travel to for a quick staycation within driving distance, here are a few below.
- Asheville, NC (3 hrs 30 min)
- Asheville is highly populated with active rentals, especially since there are about 2,500 of them. People who come to Asheville usually book their stay for about five guests per property. This brings the monthly revenue for each property to be an average of $2,332.
- Chattanooga (1 hr 15 mins)
- Chattanooga is a closer drive from Atlanta and has a little under 1000 properties that are active right now. The monthly revenue for each property is around $1,900, and 95% of these properties have an overall rating of 4.5/5 or higher. The average number of guest that stay at these properties are around five people per booking.
Miami – Miami is known for its beaches and nightlife, but when the city has locked down the beaches and temporarily closed all of the restaurants, going to stay at local destinations isn’t a bad idea. There are a few cities close to Miami that are perfect for staycations.
- Marco Island, FL (2 hrs)
- Marco Island is all about living by the water and has around 2,650 current active rental properties that allow you to do this. With nearly 1,800 of those listing being entire homes, you can expect to see a monthly revenue of about $3,600.
- Naples, FL (2 hrs)
- For properties in Naples, Florida, there are a lot of seasonal homes, but 28% of the 2,890 active rentals are available for more than 181 days a year. You can expect a daily average of $227 and a little under $3,000 in monthly revenue.
Portland – Portland is known for its scene of hipsters and foodies that love to create unique dining experiences. Sometimes it is nice to explore all of the other beautiful cities Oregon has to offer, see below to get exploring.
- McMinnville, OR (1 hr)
- McMinnville is a quick drive away from Portland that has 158 active rentals to choose from, and 65% of them are available year-round. 97% of all of the active rentals have an overall rating over 4.5 or higher and bring in average monthly revenues of over $2500.
- Bend, OR (3 hrs 15 mins)
- In Bend, OR 92% of the 3,800 available rentals are entire home rentals, which brings the average monthly revenue to $2,700. And 62% of those rentals are available year-round, giving guests an array to choose from.