A change of season is more than a shift in weather. Seasons also impact mood, plans and purchase choices. This includes booking travel accommodations, especially when it comes to short-term rentals. And if potential guests are looking for a different experience—indeed, a whole different “vibe”—in summer than they are in winter, shouldn’t your rental listing adapt to their desires?
These three Airbnb listing hacks will help your vacation rental business beat out competitors and win high-value bookings, as temps change, and poolside chic gives way to pumpkin spice…everything.
- Hook guests with a seasonal Airbnb listing title.
- Help guests visualize their visit with captivating seasonal images.
- Get guests excited with a listing description that sets the right seasonal mood.
1. Hook guests with a seasonal Airbnb listing title.
Putting up a great OTA listing is all about getting potential guests to see themselves not just at your property, but having an amazing experience at your property. And that starts with the listing title. Depending on the type of property, its location and typical guest demographic, you’ll want to highlight experiential features accordingly. Like this:
Fall/winter title examples:
- Cute + Cozy Vintage Cottage In The Woods
- Warm, Cozy Condo w/Fireplace & City Views
- Apres Ski Warmth & Charm + Whirlpool Tub
Spring/summer title examples (for the same properties!):
- Sunny + Cheerful Rustic Lakefront Cottage w/Canoes
- Bright, Airy Condo w/Rooftop Deck, Walk To Dining, Bars + Park
- Family Summer Fun + Hike, Bike, Swim
Of course, if the property has seasonal features such as a boat dock, pool, ski-in/out entrance or wood-burning stove, you’ll want to include those in your title, along with any-season eye-catchers such as garage parking, walk to everything, luxury, romantic getaway, etc.
2. Help guests visualize their visit with seasonal listing images.
While you don’t need to completely overhaul your photos, it’s a great idea to emphasize seasonally appealing features. If the property attracts specific hobbyists or adventurers (rock-climbers, skiers, fisherpeople, divers, professional suntanners), make sure to include pics of things like hooks for gear, ski or snowboard racks, outdoor “toys,” pool floaties, chaises longue, etc.
In general, fall and winter seasonal Airbnb listing photos should feature things like:
- Cozy throw blankets and pillows
- Snugly bedding
- Low, warm lighting
- Lit fireplace
- Hot tub or whirlpool bath
- Pine cones or potpourri bowls
- Mugs with hot cocoa packets
- Fire pit
- Earth tones
While spring and summer seasonal Airbnb listing photos should include things like:
- Windows with great views
- Bright colors
- Outdoor lounge areas and decks
- Swimming pool
- Fresh flowers
- Natural light
- Open-concept space
Tip: Want to change things up, but don’t want to lose those great pro photos you already paid for? Make a subtle seasonal adjustment with photo editing. You can use editing apps like VSCO, Snapseed or Photoshop to adjust contrast, brightness and composition. Airbnb also lets you edit photos you take directly on your mobile, so you can make as many seasonal changes as you like.
Don’t forget the captions!
Potential guests are way more likely to look through all the photos in a property’s listing before ever reading a word of the description. Which is why it’s crucial to have great captions for every season. Besides explaining key features that aren’t obvious in the photo itself (thread count of sheets, luxury brand appliances, streaming entertainment options, etc), captions are awesome for showcasing seasonal special touches. Even if you don’t change your photos seasonally, you really should change the captions.
Here are a few examples:
- Fall/winter caption: Cozy up with family for games or movies in front of the gas fireplace.
- Spring/summer caption: Relax with friends after a day of sightseeing, surrounded by natural afternoon light.
- Fall/winter caption: Warm up with a cup of tea, a handmade wool throw and a good book, or watch the spectacular fall foliage, all from the cozy privacy of the western-facing terrace.
- Spring/summer caption: Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the soft morning sunshine and birdsong from the relaxing private terrace.
- Fall/winter caption: Wake up late and enjoy the crisp winter views from your floor-to-ceiling bedroom windows while you stay cozy under silky-soft 400-thread-count sheets and elegant hand-stitched bedding, in your warm and welcoming queen-size bed.
- Spring/summer caption: Get the best sleep of your life after a day of sunshine and sightseeing in your air-conditioned bedroom, featuring cool cotton sheets and crisp linen bedding.
3. Get guests excited with a listing description that sets the right seasonal mood.
If your title and photos are doing their job at marketing your property, potential guests are going to eventually drill down to the description. This is where you can really draw them into visualizing a seasonal experience at the property. Just as you did with the property’s title and captions, make sure to set the tone, highlight seasonal touches and draw the guest into an experience just waiting to happen.
Check out these excellent examples of actual seasonal Airbnb listing descriptions:
Relax on the couch looking out to the woods or enjoy a glass of wine sitting in the Adirondack chairs. Spot nature all over, including deer, birds and maybe a black bear. Browse the books and play board games before a BBQ and toasting marshmallows by the fire pit, then watch the stars from the warmth of your cozy bed! Bike or stroll on the NEW reservoir path or go fishing. Inside there’s AC and heat, outside there’s sunlight and shade. The house sits on the south side of Ohayo Mountain at 800 feet above sea level, next to a quiet curvy road that takes you to the charming town of Woodstock.
This little chalet is dreamy in a big, lovely way…and it’s PERFECTLY located in Old Town! Old West meets modern styling in this VERY bright, warm stand-alone home with its own designated/permitted parking. You’ll find every comfort and convenience at the chalet, an ideal place to gather with friends and family to celebrate all that the village has to offer. Enjoy a cozy fireplace, fantastic views of Old Town, and a kitchen stocked with all the tools you need to prepare a big, delicious family meal, if you’d like to dine in. Pretty sure you’ll rest well in the super comfy beds with high-end linens and snugly Pendleton blankets. The chalet has one spacious bathroom with a walk-in shower—the perfect place to warm up and relax after a chilly day on the slopes.
Unwind in this peaceful country getaway on 20+ sprawling green acres. Spend a weekend “back in time” in a cabin built in the 1800s, newly renovated with modern amenities. Unplug, reflect and recharge on walking paths winding through young budding orchards, wildflowers, farmlands, woodlands and natural spring creeks. Stop and smell the wild roses. And feel free to use your private grill and/or campfire to best enjoy the cool, fresh spring evening air.
This is the quintessential beach cottage! Interior has been decorated with handpicked designer items that exude beach ambiance from the moment you walk through the door. This cottage is a perfect summer vacation spot for you and your family, or for a couple’s weekend. The cottage features 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Master has its own private bathroom and queen bed. Second bedroom is set up with a bunk-style sleeper on bottom and single on top. Garage full of toys including stand-up paddleboard, bikes, boogie boards, skateboards, tennis rackets, sand toys, beach umbrella, beach chairs and more! Front patio is so welcoming, you’ll likely spend most of your time there relaxing and people-watching in the sunshine, while listening to rolling surf, just steps away.
Don’t forget the filters!
Airbnb has hundreds of filters available to help guests find the properties and features they want. Which means Airbnb has hundreds of filters available to help you prioritize your listing to the right guests. Take full advantage of filters to maximize seasonal appeal and fill off-peak dates. Seasonal filters include:
- Central AC
- Pool cover
- Lake access
- Rain shower
- Beach essentials
- Hot tub
- Indoor fireplace
- Mountain views
Airdna and other industry data resources forecast super-high ADR, occupancy and RevPAR for 2022. And a recent Evolve survey found nearly 60 percent of respondents planning to book trips two to five months in advance (compared to less than two months in advance for both 2020 and 2021), and on taking three or more trips in 2022. Adapt your listings seasonally, in advance, to avoid losing out on this windfall, and get ready for a 2022 that’s shaping up to be one for the record books!